||Valparaiso, a central-southern region in Chile, has one of the highest rates of wildfire occurrence in the country. The constant threat of fires is mainly due to its highly flammable forest plantation, composed of 97.5% Pinus radiata and Eucalyptus globulus. Fuel moisture content is one of the most relevant parameters for studying fire spreading and risk, and can be estimated from the reflectance of leaves in the short wave infra-red (SWIR) range, not easily available in most vision-based sensors. Therefore, this work addresses the problem of estimating the water content of leaves from the two previously mentioned species, without any knowledge of their spectrum in the SWIR band. To this end, and for validation purposes, the reflectance of 90 leaves per species, at five dehydration stages, were taken between 350 nm and 2500 nm (full spectrum). Then, two machine-learning regressors were trained with 70% of the data set to determine the unknown reflectance, in the range 1000 nm-2500 nm. Results were validated with the remaining 30% of the data, achieving a root mean square error less than 9% in the spectrum estimation, and an error of 10% in spectral indices related to water content estimation. (C) 2020 IAgrE. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
||[Arevalo-Ramirez, Tito; Villacres, Juan; Auat Cheein, Fernando A.] Univ Tecn Fedrico Santa Maria, Dept Ingn Elect, Valparaiso, Chile, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org